Wednesday, December 5, 2018

DIY Farmhouse Napkin Rings


I love when I get to set the table for big gatherings of family and friends.  My happy place is to have a houseful of people that I can feed and visit with.  I hate to admit it but I have several sets of napkins and napkin rings and I change them out according to the holiday and formality of the occasion.    Although I have an assortment of various and holiday specific napkin rings, I was really craving a napkin ring that was versatile enough to pair with a variety of tablescapes.

I came across some unfinished napkin rings on eBay and decided to paint and distress them to give them a Farmhouse style rustic look.  If you have shopped for napkin rings lately, you'll find that you can spend anywhere from $3 to $15 each on a napkin ring depending on where you shop.  I purchased 25 of these napkin rings for less than $22.  


I started out by painting the Napkin Rings with some Krylon Metallic Spray Paint.  Since this was one of my first attempts at paint distressing, I only applied one coat of brass metallic paint.  In hindsight, I would apply a second coat of metallic paint as it doesn't touch much sanding at all before you are down to the bare wood.  A second coat of metallic, ensures you have more gold left underneath after a light coat of sanding.  Allow the spray paint to dry for three or four hours between coats.  After the metallic paint was dry, I painted over the top with a creamy chalk paint.  Since I was so excited to get this project done, I didn't photograph painting the top coat with chalk paint but I used Waverly Chalk Plaster Paint in Matte Finish



I applied the chalk paint with a small foam brush and when it was dry, I lightly sanded around the napkin ring in a non-uniform fashion.  I just wanted to lightly distress the rings to create a rustic farmhouse look.  This was a super easy project and my total cost was less than $2 per ring.  


After I finished the napkin rings, I added a tiny little spray of greenery for a pop of festive color.  I love how these look on my Christmas Table scape which is part Rustic with a little Glam thrown in!

Thanks for stopping by and please share any photos if you decide to make some of these yourself.  There is no limit to how creative you can get with these unfinished wooden rings!





Sláinte!









No comments:

Post a Comment