Wednesday, April 24, 2019

RH Style Bathroom Vanity Knock-Off for under $200




Earlier this year, I decided that our tired old builder grade bathroom vanity needed a little makeover.  I neglected to photograph tired old vanity for before and after purposes.  Sometimes I get so excited about taking on  a new project that my documenting ends up a little lacking.  I am working on that though and have already made a lot of improvements in that department.   I set out searching dozens of online retailers to find the perfect blend of modern-farmhouse vanity that I was imagining in my mind.  I wanted something with some contemporary elements but also a little bit of a rustic vibe. Then I stumbled upon the Hutton Vanity at Restoration Hardware.


This was very close to what I wanted but I couldn't justify the near $1800 price tag for a 30" vanity with the selected finishes.  Still, this was similar to what I had in mind so I asked my very handy hubby if we could somehow fabricate something like this.  We set out looking for 28-33 inch cabinet that we could convert into a vanity in true Chip and Joanna style.  There was something really exciting about re-purposing an old cabinet into a beautiful one-of-a-kind vanity. 



We tried two or three thrift stores when we stumbled upon this little beauty!   I knew as soon as I laid eyes on this charming little cabinet that it would be perfect for the job. We measured it and it was exactly 30" wide.    The best part...we only paid $69 to make her our own!  



I purchased some General Finishes Gray Gel stain from Amazon and went to work.  I had previously used General Finishes Gel Paint in Java to stain our basement bar and I loved how easy it was to apply and how beautiful the finish is.  No matter your skill level with painting or staining furniture, this stuff is foolproof. 



I would recommend using some gardening or  heavy-duty gloves though because it is very difficult to get off your skin and eats right though thin latex gloves.  I learned this the hard way when we stained our basement bar.  This stain can be applied with a bristle or foam brush.  You can wipe off excess to get the desired result that you are looking for.  There are also a lot of great tutorials on how to use  General Finishes Gel Stain on Youtube.  I watched several videos myself to get an idea on how best to apply this stain.  

My hubby cut a hole for the sink using the template that came with the Anna Farmhouse Sink from Lowes  It was around $100 and it is the perfect sink to use if you find a charming old cabinet that you want to convert to a vanity.  

We topped it off with some brass colored hardware which seems to be making a big comeback these days.  I contemplated but couldn't bring myself to add a brass faucet.  It still seems too recent that I was replacing the brass faucets in all our bathrooms.  We couldn't be happier with the finished result and I love that we worked on it together!  So head out to your local thrift store to find an old cabinet, grab some gel paint and an inexpensive farmhouse sink and you too can have your own one-of-a-kind bathroom vanity to enjoy!  Please let me know if you end up making one of these yourself.  I would love to share the pictures on my blog!  Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out my tutorial!!!  

Sláinte!

Maureen








No comments:

Post a Comment