Thursday, November 5, 2015

Brass Shower Transformed!




Ah the glory days of brass!  What was once the latest trend is now quickly being replaced by brushed nickel, chrome and my personal favorite....oil rubbed bronze.    We updated our own shiny brass bathroom with oil rubbed bronze from Rustoleum and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.  I had priced replacing our brass shower with a frame-less shower door and it was upwards of $1500.  I decided to do some research on alternative options and was thrilled to pieces when I learned that we could actually paint over the brass with a spray paint product from Rustoleum.



I had to get my husband hooked on the idea and once I showed him some before and after photos of other shower transformations using this product...he loved the idea!  Now I have to give him credit for this makeover because yes, I did come up with the idea, but he did all the hard work.  The results are beautiful and the cost was ridiculously cheap but it is not a project for the faint of heart as it took several light layers of paint to reach the desired effect.

I did a great job of documenting each step of the process but unfortunately I drowned the camera that contained all of those photos so the before and after photos will have to do.  You are going to need about 3-4 cans of Rustoleum paint in your desired finish.  This product comes in oil rubbed bronze, brushed nickel and at least a few others.  They average about $8 a can at your local hardware store. You are also going to need some fine sand paper to lightly sand the brass before and in between each application.


Although it is quite possible to tape around the brass shower and paint it that way, my husband decided that he wanted to get the best coverage possible and he actually took the whole shower apart, labeled each piece and drew a diagram of how to put it back together....yes, he is a keeper.  Although you can also paint faucets and other fixtures with this Rustoleum product, we decided to take the money we saved on the shower and purchase more up to date bath and shower fixtures.  
Here is a before photo.....

And a few after photos.  



I have since used this product to paint some old gold frames, and even an old brass light fixture.  The possibilities are endless and Pinterest is also a very good source for other great uses and inspirations for this product.  Feel free to share your own shower/bath transformations!  

Here is a link to Rustoleum's own website where you can learn a little more about application of the product. 

I was so happy with my new updated bath that it inspired me to make a new window treatment and apply a fresh coat of paint!  My hubby installed a new shiny chandelier to complete the job!  It looks like a whole new room and investments in kitchen and bath always reap great rewards! 

No comments:

Post a Comment