Saturday, November 24, 2018

Reclaimed Wood Ceiling with Stikwood


One of my favorite projects that my husband and I recently completed was updating the tray ceiling in our dining room with a product called Stikwood.  It is a reclaimed wood product that is ultra thin and has an adhesive backing so it sticks pretty effortlessly to most surfaces.  It comes in several different color variations and you can even purchase a sample pack to get an idea of which color would work best in your space.  Both the sample pack and the product itself can be purchased directly from Stikwood.com. I am not getting any sort of compensation from endorsing this product, I just really like the stuff and have two more Stikwood projects that I will share soon!

There are  more than a few of these types of products on the market but until I found Stikwood, I had not found any of these products that were recommended for use on a ceiling.   A quick Google search actually revealed that my local West Elm had some Stikwood available for sale. Apparently they had received some Stikwood that was sent to them to use as part of a store display and they had a couple of cases left over.  We really lucked out because we bought it for about half of what we would have paid for it had we purchased it directly from the manufacturer.



Stikwood is an extremely easy product to apply and our ceiling project was completed in less than a day.  Probably the most difficult part was just measuring and getting an accurate cut for each piece.  The Stickwood boards are about 5 inches wide and they come in varying lengths.  We tried to lay the pattern out on the dining room table to evenly balance the variation of the of boards but we did end up making some adjustments as we went along.  There is quite a bit of variability in color from board to board so it is a good idea to create somewhat of a pattern before you commit to sticking it to the wall or ceiling.



I am IN LOVE with how it turned out!  It adds a homey rustic quality to an otherwise formal area.  After we finished the Stikwood ceiling, we updated the room with a fresh coat of paint and a  new light fixture from Overstock that was the perfect blend of rustic elegance.   There is a great Black Friday special on that fixture right now.  It is my favorite light fixture in my home and a great value.


After we hung the fixture, I realized that it was a lot of wood on wood and it needed some contrast.  I added a little sparkle to the fixture with some crystal garland and crystal pendants purchased from Amazon.  May do a more detailed post on that later!  It was just the right amount of contrast to really make the fixture pop against the wood ceiling.  I was super excited when Stikwood featured my tray ceiling on the website and Instagram page.  This project had a huge wow factor yet it was relatively easy to complete.  Even a novice DIY'er would have success with this product.




We just enjoyed our first Thanksgiving in our newly updated dining room we look forward to many more family gatherings in this beautiful space!  Thanks again for visiting! 



No comments:

Post a Comment